Submit your own film plan and script and you could receive € 10,000 to make your film reality this year! With this competition, Noordelijk Film Festival offers a helping hand and a platform to talented filmmakers. The competition is wide open to short film plans for fiction, documentary, art, animation or music videos. If you are not a maker from Friesland, it is important that the plan does include some other link with Friesland. For example, that it will be shot at a location in Friesland or you will work with a Frisian crew or actor(s), the Frisian language is included in the script, etc. The choice is yours – whatever best suits your film plan.
The plans and scripts submitted will be assessed before the summer by an expert jury made up of film professionals working in the Netherlands. The winning project plan will receive a cash prize of € 10,000 from Noordelijk Film Festival. This prize is made available by the Province of Fryslân. After the award ceremony on Wednesday 23 May, this money must be used to realise the short film as described in your plan.
The winner(s) must submit a ‘rough cut’ no later than on 1 October, and the fully edited film on DCP before 24 October 2019. The film will have its world première at Noordelijk Film Festival, which runs from 6 through 10 November 2019. The winner will also receive 25 complimentary tickets to the première for the cast and crew and any other guests. Click here for the terms and conditions for the winning project.
- Thursday April 18th
- Deadline submitting plan
- Thursday May 9th
- Awardshow at Slieker, Leeuwarden
- May till September
- Making the film
- Tuesday October 1st
- Deadline showing 'rough cut' to the festival programmer
- Thursday October 24th
- Deadline submitting the final film on DCP
- Between 6 & 10 November
- Worldpremiere at the Northern Film Festival
To take part in The Filmkick, submit a complete plan covering all the points listed below under Film Plan & Script, clearly demonstrating how you will fulfil the concrete criteria for the competition.
- Introduction to the plan outlining your motivation for making the film, taking part in this competition and the link with Friesland
- The (working) title of the film, a synopsis and the estimated length of the film (at least 3, no more than 10 minutes)
- Information on the form the film will take: for example use of camera, sound, set design and sources of inspiration
- A description of the characters and casting plan
- An overview of previous work by the director, screenwriter, producer (possibly accompanied by a proof of registration with the Chamber of Commerce for the production company)
- Clear and feasible production planning (July through October), with explanatory notes where necessary
- A detailed budget on the basis of the prize money (10,000 Euros), possibly supplemented by no more than 5,000 Euros (realisable income)
- Three brief statements of support (for example, from film professionals or other relevant contacts who you have worked with and who are able to say something of value from experience about your way of working, your plan, previous work, etc.)
- Script (screenplay)
These are some of the concrete points on the basis of which the jury will assess the plans:
- The topic must be of current interest (topicality)
The script must be original (originality)
The plan submitted, including the budget, must be realistic (reality)
Naturally, the desired artistic quality will also play an important role in the assessment.